Friday 17 October 2014

Los ribereños de Mundugumor, an interesting text

Since my mother taught me to read, I have always loved to do it.
Of course I'm fine with all the things that I have to read to university and nowadays I'm reading an interesting anthropological text to my class, anthropology II.
The name of the text is "Los ribereños de Mundugumor" and it was wrote by Margaret Mead, an american anthropologist.
The text is about the comparison between cultures, Arapesh and Mundugumor. Both are located in Papua New Guinea, but despite that they are so diferent.
Arapesh are so pacefull, cute and they love each other, specially their children. In fact, since people are babies, they learn that all people around is part of their family.
In contrast, Mundugumor are cannibals, they hate each other and children are a kind of curse, so babies past all days into a basket without adults care. Even when babies cry, people around just brush the basket to stop babies crying.
Actually, I have to recognise that sometimes this text makes me feel sad, because for me babies of Mundugumor are unhappy, but also I understand that is another culture and my understanding of the world is so diferent to the vision of another social group.
Also I would recommend you the text, because instead of the cruel story of mundugumor is entertaining how the autor describe all situations.
In addition is an invitation to rethink our society and our understanding of another societies.


5 comments:

  1. I think is so interesting the knowledge about others people :) I agree that it is useful to (re)think our society and how we see to other, see you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I don't study psychology, probably I'd like to stay in anthropology. Always I've considered that is a very interesting field, maybe more than some areas of my discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m agree with Valeska, we could re-think our own socity when we see a different kind of life style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn´t know about this cultures!
    I like the Arapesh´s because there are a culture more like me, pacefull and a cute person :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also feel reading and learning about different cultures is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete